Blog Archives

Two Days and Counting…

It’s almost Halloween.  I’m trying to get into the Halloween spirit by dressing a little “halloweenie” when I can.    Unfortunately, I had to take down some of my props today because the wind started to pick up due to Hurricane Sandy.  We don’t have rain yet, but it’s expected to come tomorrow and be very, very heavy. 

Although I put together a nice little movie from video I took at a Make-and-Take gathering I went to back in August, I had forgotten how to do it.  Last night, I took some video on my camcorder.  Not too bad under the circumstances.  The music adds a nice touch.  I just wish I could have set up all of my props.  But there’s always next year.

I hope all my friends in NJ and PA are okay over the next couple of days.  Speaking with several online, I found most have disassembled their haunts due to the storm.  What a bummer!  Working all year for this one night and then having to take everything down because of the weather.  The main thing is that everyone is safe and hopefully, nobody has any structural or water damage.

There are still a few things out on my lawn including all my tombstones.  Keeping my fingers crossed that “something” is left standing by Wednesday!  We’ll have to see.  In the meantime, maybe I’ll bake up some goodies before my electricity goes out.  At least they’ll taste better than whatever canned food I may be stuck with!

Advertisements

23 Days and Counting!

I’ve been unexpectedly busy the past two weeks; way behind in my Halloween decorating and I’m frantic trying to get everything set up outside before this coming weekend.  Today I had unexpected (but much welcomed) company so I’m posting these photos a little late.  Tomorrow I plan on working dawn till dusk and will have much, much more set up outside to show you!  I’m so excited.  A few of my older foam props were splitting apart so they needed some repair before I could display them.  Unfortunately, that’s taking longer than I thought.

“You dirty rat!” gave me a headache.  This creature was splitting all over.  I had to perform major surgery on him and he’s still drying.  My sutures were masking tape, then a coating with liquid latex.  I added some pieces of paper toweling over the latex while it was still wet to give it structure.  After that dries, I’ll add one more coat of latex, let it dry then paint. 

Warning:  I never used liquid latex before.  When I opened up the container, there was a latex “plug”, something like you’d get when you open a bottle of glue; that little hard bubble of gunk before the real stuff comes out.  Well, I learned my lesson.  I squeezed the bottle too hard and the latex spurted ALL OVER THE PLACE!  On the floor, my tombstones, on the table, my exacto knife and accessories, paintbrushes, cups…EVERYTHING. My efforts to clean it up were futile – it smeared and left a tacky residue on the floor, table, chair, supplies and of course, my clothes!  Needless to say, I’m leaving the rest of the cleanup until after all my prep work is complete; who knows what may happen next! (I still have painting to do!)

The latex leg wasn’t too bad.  I had already taped over part of the foam with red electrical tape which held up pretty well for two years.  Again, I used a foam brush to cover it with latex, followed by some torn paper towel and will apply another coat before final painting.  I’ve also decided to give Mrs. Bates skull a latex facelift.  Not sure where I’m going with this one yet; maybe a little more dried flesh on the skull!

Some of the tombstones need to be touched up with paint and they should be ready for display tomorrow too.  I already have the holes made for the dowel inserts which will go half into the foam stones and half in the ground.  Even in strong wind and rain, the stones have held up over the years with only a few mishaps.  There are a couple of tombstones that still need detail painting but I don’t expect that to take too long.

While the tombstones, rat and leg are drying, I’ll be building my creatures.  If I can coat the coffin with a paint sealer, I’ll put that out early this year.  I used to wait until a few days before Halloween so the weather wouldn’t destroy it.  We’ll have to see.  By tomorrow night, I should have all the spot lights hooked up and will test my fog machine.  Still haven’t decided if I should make a creature for the pond.  I knew I shouldn’t have sold that old wet suit!

%d bloggers like this: